So what is the best portable backpacking water filter that is suitable for emergency situations? The Sawyer Products Mini Water Filtration System is my top pick. It’s really a mini water filtration system. It’s so small that is can fit easily into a backpack or other luggage. It isn’t heavy either and you can use it in 3 different ways. With such versatility, it’s astonishing to see that this device is so inexpensive.
If you want to make sure that you get a water filter that will be effective and suitable for a survival atmosphere, continue reading and I will show you my other favorite products.
Reviews of the Best Portable Emergency Water Filters
1. Sawyer Products Mini Water Filtration System
This mini water filter is just a little bit bigger than most straw models. It’s a very lightweight item, so it’s easy to carry around.
The Sawyer Products Mini Water Filtration System is available in a variety of colors and you can also purchase more than 1 filter to get a slightly discounted price. The cost for one of these water filters is pretty reasonable, and it has a very efficient and effective filtration system.
This kit comes with a reusable pouch for water, a cleaning plunger and a drinking straw.
- You can attach it to a drinking pouch, regular disposable water bottles or use the straw directly in the water source
- It removes 99.9% of waterborne bacteria
- Filters up to 100,000 gallons before it needs replacement
- It contains a 0.1Micron absolute hollow fiber membrane inline filter
- It’s light so you can carry it around easily
- You can use it in different ways
- It’s a very personal item so it may not be suitable for a group of people
2. Survivor Filter PRO Water Purifier Pump
Trying to find a good survival water filtration system? Think about the Survivor Filter PRO Water Purifier Pump. It’s portable, lightweight, can filter a large volume of water and you can clean the filter so it can be reused. This is especially good if you want to filter water for a larger group of people.
Although this product is not the cheapest, it seems to do the best job at removing harmful microorganisms from any water. It’s a 3-step process that leads to much cleaner and safer water.
When you purchase this water filter, you will receive a zippered case for carrying the water filter, a lifetime warranty and a money-back guarantee.
- It’s very portable
- You can use it in 3 ways
- It has a very fast flow rate
- It removes 99.9% of microorganisms
- It surpasses EPA standards for water filters
- The filters can filter up to 100,000L before needing replacement
- It’s easy to carry around
- It does a very good job at removing contaminants
- It’s more expensive than the others
3. ZNPNXN Water Straw
If you are looking for something that is more of a personal filter, you should check out the ZNPNXN Water Straw. This is a very amazing and functional product.
When you talk about portable, this is it. This very small inexpensive water filter is basically the size of a straw. You can drink water directly from the source as it will be filtered on its way up the straw.
It’s a very advanced water filtration system that removes almost all bacteria that is present in water.
Because of its very small size, you can carry this water filter anywhere. It does not occupy a lot of space and it isn’t heavy either.
You can use it to filter up to 1,000 liters of water from any source of fresh water.
- It contains an activated carbon filter
- It can remove 99.9% of all bacteria present in the water
- The filter can be used for up to 1,000 liters of water
- You can extend the life of the water filter by backwashing with clean water
- Up to 250 ml of water can flow through the straw per minute
- This water filter is very portable
- It’s very effective in removing water contaminants
- It isn’t very suitable for filtering water for a group of people
4. Etekcity Water Filter Straw
The Etekcity Water Purifier is another water straw that produces amazing results
Having a water filter that is small makes it very easy to carry around, and for this price, this product is worth considering.
It basically removes all the bacterial contaminants that can be present in water such as salmonella, E. coli and cholera.
This portable water filter complies with the FDA’s food contact specifications, so you can rest assured that the water it filters will be safe for consumption.
The filtration kit contains a pouch for collecting water, a longer straw that you can attach to the filter, and a syringe that you should use for cleaning the filter.
- Activated carbon filter
- 99.9% removal of all bacterial contaminants
- It’s small and lightweight
- It can filter up to 1,500 liters of water
- There are convenient filter accessories
- It can fit just about anywhere so it’s very portable
- It does a very good job with filtering water
- The filter cannot be replaced so you have to get a completely new product
5. LifeStraw Personal Water Filter
Also affordably priced, the popular LifeStraw Personal Water Filter is ideal for many situations. It’s very portable and it has a very good water filtration system. If you are looking for a personal water filter that can effectively filter water and last for a good amount of time, you should check out what this product has to offer.
You can use it to filter up to 1,000 liters before having to replace it.
When you purchase this item, you should receive it in a sealed bag. Although it seems to be bigger than many water straws that we have come across, it is still light and portable.
It’s approved by the EPA and it filters 99.9% bacteria in water. It doesn’t contain any chemicals for filtration neither does it use batteries.
- It doesn’t contain chemicals
- It removes 99.9% of bacterial organisms
- It can filter 1,000 liters before needing replacement
- It uses a hollow fiber membrane filter
- It removes dangerous substances such as salmonella and E. coli
- It has a flow rate of 1.7 liters per minute
- It has a very good flow rate
- It’s very lightweight
- It doesn’t filter heavy metals
What Makes These the Best Emergency Backpacking Water Filters
When looking at a water filter system, you need to find one that is mobile. This is important, as you want it to fit easily into your luggage or your backpack.
Obviously the most important aspect of a filtration system is that it works, so you want to find a water filter that has been approved by scientists, which all products on our list have been.
Before you purchase a water filter, figure out if you are going to be traveling in a small group or by yourself. This will influence your decision on the type you want to get.
- Military-grade water purifier pump removes viruses, bacteria, protozoa, and particulate from contaminated water sources virtually anywhere on earth
- Meets NSF protocol P248 testing standard of the U.S. military, using medical-grade fibers to provide protection from the tiniest waterborne threats
- Pumps at a rapid 2.5 liters per minute, treats up to 10,000 liters of water, and withstands freezing, drops, heavy use, and harsh environments
- Pump self-cleans on every stroke, providing consistently fast flow rates with zero hassle—no backflushing or filter-scrubbing ever required
- Ideal for backcountry, expeditions, global travel, and survival; purifier pump measures 8.2 x 4.7 inches and weighs 17.3 ounces; made in the USA
Last update on 2021-04-12 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Benefits of a Great Portable Survival Water Filter
If a natural disaster an emergency arises, you may not have access to clean water. Thankfully, there are survival water filters that can help you to make water safe for consumption; in fact, water filters should not just be limited to survival situations only. Water filters come in different styles, shapes and sizes, but they are all beneficial.
It will make water taste and smell better
When you filter water, it removes many unwanted substances. This includes chemicals that have an odor. When filtration is complete, the water should be odorless and the taste should be improved. If the water was not clear, filtration should also improve its color and make it much more transparent.
Less expensive than bottled water
The cost of buying bottled water eventually adds up. It may seem to be inexpensive now, but do the math. If you purchase a water filter, it will be a much cheaper option than if you continually purchase bottled water.
- A simple turn engages a ceramic pre-filter for long life in dirty water or a pleated glass fiber filter in normal conditions
- Produces up to two quarts per minute in the faster flow mode and one quart per minute in longer life mode
- Uses a replaceable Katadyn carbon core and cleanable ceramic disc
- Adapter base attaches directly to water bottles or an output hose can be used to fill hydration systems or larger containers
- Glass fiber filter
Last update on 2021-04-12 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Removes dangerous substances
Regardless of the color of the water, many dangerous substances can be lurking in it. One way to ensure that you remove dangerous toxins and other contaminants is by using a water filter. A water filter is designed to get rid of many types of impurities that may be present in water. This makes the water much cleaner and safer for consumption.
Control your water quality
A good way to control your water quality is by using a water filter. Because unwanted substances will be removed from the water, you will know that you are drinking the same quality of water at all times. Water filters will give you clean, healthy water that is safe and good for your body.
Now that you know the benefits of using a water filter, you should not hesitate or second guess whether you should go get one. There are some questions that you need to answer before you make a choice. Once you answer these questions, it will help you to narrow down your search.
- Does it matter if it’s heavy or portable?
- How long will the filter last?
- What is the micron rating? (What substances will it filter?)
- Can you easily replace the filter or can you clean it?
- How easy is it to use the filter?
- Do you have a budget? How much can you afford to spend?
My Choice for the Best Portable Backpacking Water Filter
Although these are all great products, there is one that I consider as the best portable backpacking water filter.
The Sawyer Products Mini Water Filtration System is very versatile. You can attach it to drinking bottles or use it directly with the water source. It does all the things that you should look for in a water filter, and it is affordable. To make it even more appealing, you can clean the filter to extend the life of the system.